Design and Technology 2022- 2023
Curriculum Statement of Intent 2021-2022
Our Design and technology curriculum offers our chidlren the opportunities to use creativity and imagination to make high quality products by combining their designing and making skills with knowledge and understanding to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
It is a practical subject where the children are encouraged to develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world. We aim to ensure that the activities undertaken when designing and making products will support our pupils in the wider world and beyond childhood, encouraging them to become informed consumers and potential innovators.
Our aims are that through the D & T currilcum we will promote all pupils to:
- Develop imaginative thinking; enabling them to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making
- Talk about how things work, and to draw and model their ideas
- Select appropriate tools and techniques for making a product, whilst following safe procedures
- Explore the made world and how we live and work within it; including those careers available to them as adults such as careers in Engineering and Design
- Develop an understanding of technological processes, products, their manufacture, and their contribution to our society
- Develop skills of enquiry, data collection and interpretation, investigation, analysis, evaluation and presentation
- Foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making
Miss Sian Jones- Design and Technology subject lead
Our Design and Technology Curriculum, coverage of the National Curriculum, skills and knowledge, and detailed progression document outling the steps in learning our pupils make to build their knowledge and skills in Design and Technology are detailed in the downloadable documents listed at the bottom of this page.